Wednesday 16 April 2014

My love for oil

There are reasons why I love to use oil paint. Oil paint is extremely forgiving in the sense that it takes many days to begin to dry. You have about three days (while the oil paint is wet on the canvas) when you can alter any mistakes or remove them completely with a damp rag. Before you decide the painting is complete, take a step back and look at your painting in its totality to see if any changes are needed.
Oil paint is sensuous and I find it highly seductive. Like life. (Ann Dettmer)
Here are two of my latest oil paintings. Hope you enjoy viewing it as I enjoyed creating them.

A river in Africa. The whole country was affected by rain over the past two weeks except the western parts of the Northern Cape and the extreme western parts of the Western Cape.
Why wouldn’t I then think of not painting a wonderful river?
I so enjoyed using oil paint again. This painting is done on a blocked canvas: 18″ × 24 " and for sale. (41 × 61 cm.) Palette knife and brush.


“Calmness is the way we show that we are trusting in God.”- unknown. This could be anywhere on South Africa’s coastline. Painted from my imagination.
Oil on hardboard. Palette knife.

2 comments:

  1. Your love for oil is very evident here Liz, beautifully done! I steer clear of oils for most of the time, I've got no patience waiting for it to dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maree!! I also have to be in 'n "mood" for oil, but once I start, I really enjoy it!

      Delete